DISTCO PBL FOR “STEM SOS MODEL” SCHOOLS
Partnership between DISTCO and STEM SOS MODEL SCHOOLS
DISTCO, a pioneer in digital storytelling contest for K-12 students and teachers, is proud to hold DISTCO PBL contest for schools implementing STEM SOS Model. STEM SOS is a rigorous, interdisciplinary, standards-focused, and engaging STEM teaching approach that is teacher-facilitated, student-centered and directed through sets of project- and inquiry-based (P&IBL) projects. This new PBL approach is to maintain the focus on standards-based teaching while enriching and extending the learning of students through PBL projects. The goal is to promote not only collaborative skills and student ownership of learning but also to promote student success in state and national standards. Please read more about STEM SOS Model here.DISTCO provides training and support to teachers and students particularly around technologies students will use to develop their PBL products around the video presentation in STEM SOS Model. Through this partnership, students and teachers are trained on the technologies (such as video production, technical skills, submission/retrieval of the PBL projects along with training on DISTCO project) that students will use to develop their PBL products.
- STEM SOS Model students are invited to participate in a special contest: DISTCO PBL. Specifically, the DISTCO PBL will accept student’s Middle and High School Level II & III video presentations (digital stories). In addition, the DISTCO system will host students’ PBL digital stories for future review and access.
– Students may follow the RULES under DISTCO website when submitting their work.
– The DISTCO PBL will have the same timeline with DISTCO
–Middle School Science
— High School Science
— High School Mathematics
Requirements for Level II & III PBL Projects
Level II & III
- Students will complete one interdisciplinary PBL project during the academic year. Upon completion of the PBL project, students will be required to produce;
- a digital story complete with pictures, video, sound and narration.
- a google site explaining their projects
- a brochure for their project including QR codes for movie and website link.
- Students will post their movie presentation to their YouTube Channel or Google Drive
- Both movie and handout will be inserted in student’s Google Site.
- WeVideo will be recommended as the software tool for creating PBL digital stories at this level. However, students will have a choice to select from other digital storytelling software such as Photostory 3, iMovie and Windows Live Movie Maker.
- Training materials including video tutorials are prepared for students and teachers at this level. The training materials will be on how to use WeVideo and other popular software for creating digital stories.
- PBL digital stories will be accepted to the Digital Storytelling Contest (DISTCO) automatically.
- DISTCO system will host students’ PBL digital stories for future review and access.
REGISTER: November 1, 2016- January 15, 2017
SUBMISSIONS: January 16, 2017- March 31, 2017
CLICK HERE TO SEE AWARDS
DISTCO PBL FLYER
DISTCO PBL RULES
DISTCO PBL RULES